- 500 gm Chicken (cubed)
- 400 gm Basmati Rice (washed and soaked)
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 4 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 Potatoes (chopped)
- 3 Onions (sliced)
- 1½ tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 4-6 Green Chilies (chopped)
- ¼ cup Mint Leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup Oil
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Black Cardamom Seeds
- 6 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon Stick
- Salt to taste
- 4-6 dried Plum
- 1/8 tsp Yellow Food Color
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Green Cardamom Seeds
- Yellow food color as required
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seed
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Coriander
- 6 Cloves
- Heat the oil and fry the onion on a medium heat until golden brown. Reserve some onions.
- Add chicken, potatoes and garlic stir fry for 10 minutes.
- Stir in ground masala, whole spices, salt, yogurt, ginger, green chilies and fry for another five minutes.
- Pour in some water and cover to cook on low heat until chicken is cooked.
- Cook rice into boiling water until rice is half cooked. Drain the rice thoroughly.
- Divide the rice into 3 and chicken mixture into 2 parts.
- Spread 1 part of the rice evenly on a large pan. Layer it with chicken mixture.
- Repeat and finish layering with rice.
- Sprinkle with food color over the rice, cover and cook on a low heat until the rice is tender.
- Garnish with reserved onions and serve warm.