- 1 kg Goat Meat/Lamb with bones, cut into 2" pieces
- 2 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 6 Green Cardamom
- 6 Cloves
- 1" piece Cinnamon
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 4 large Onions - 2 chopped fine, 2 sliced very thinly
- 3 tbsp Vegetable/ sunflower/ canola cooking oil
- 2 1/2 cups Basmati Rice, washed well
- 3 tbsp fresh Yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Put 6 cups of water in a pressure cooker.
- Cut a piece of muslin cloth into a 6" square and place the cinnamon, black and green cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, star anise, coriander and cumin seeds, bay leaf and red chili powder in the center of this square.
- Gather up the edges of the cloth and tie tightly to form a bundle.
- Put this bundle in the pressure cooker.
- Now, add the ginger, garlic pastes, meat and salt to the pressure cooker and close the lid.
- Boil it around 10 mins or till the meat is almost cooked.
- Remove the muslin bag and separate the meat from the stock and keep aside.
- Heat the cooking oil and add the chopped onions in a separate pan. Fry till light golden.
- Now add the meat, stock, rice and yogurt and mix well.
- Cook on medium flame till the mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the flame to a simmer, cover and cook till the rice is done.
- Turn off the fire and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the rice is resting, fry the sliced onions in cooking oil till golden. Drain and keep on paper towels.
- Open the pan and stir the rice well, taking care not to break up the pieces of meat.
- Garnish with fried sliced onions (optional) and serve piping hot with a vegetable raita or curry dish of your choice.