Chicken Dum Biryani
- ½ kg Chicken
- 450 gm Basmati Rice (washed & drained)
- 3 Green Cardamoms (Elaichi)
- ½ tsp Mace (Javitri)(ground)
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg (Jaifal)(grated)
- 3 Cloves (Lavang)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Whole Star Anise
- 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 cups thick Curd (Yogurt)
- 4 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 big Onion (sliced)
- 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Chilly Powder
- a pinch of Saffron (dissolved in 2 tbsp warm milk)
- Salt to taste
- 8 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 6 cups Water
- Take curd, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, tomato paste, chilly powder, nutmeg, mace, and salt in a bowl and mix into a paste.
- Marinate the chicken with the paste and keep it to the side for 3-4 hours.
- Put water in a pot and get it to boil.
- Heat ghee in a pan and crackle star anise, cardamoms, cloves & cinnamon.
- Stir in rice and fry it for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the boiling water, sprinkle a pinch of salt and cook until rice is ¾ cooked.
- Strain the rice using colander.
- Take 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry onion until it is golden brown. Remove the onion and keep it to the side.
- Pour in the remaining oil into the pan and cook the chicken for 6-7 minutes or until it discharges oil.
- Mix in rice and add fried onion, ghee and saffron.
- Now cover the pan with aluminium foil and set the pan over another pan. Cook on high flame for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the flame to medium and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Take off the heat and serve hot.