Chemmeen Mango Curry
|Calories Per Serving:
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 6 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Sambar Onions (Small Onion) (chopped)
- 2 Drumsticks (cut into 3 inch pieces)
- 2 cups Coconut
- 1 kg Prawns
- 6 Kodumpuli (Gamboge) (cut into pieces)
- 4 Curd Chilies
- 2 Green Chilies (chopped)
- 2 Raw Mangoes
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 4 Red Chilies whole
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- Clean and wash the prawns.
- Pat the prawns dry and marinate in turmeric powder and little salt.
- Peel the mangoes and cut into wedges.
- Lightly pound the fenugreek seeds and keep aside.
- Soak and grind coconuts with 1/2 cup warm water.
- Now heat 4 tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the onion till it turns brown.
- Put the masala powders and mix well.
- Put the green and curd chilies, curry leaves and the kodumpuli along with coconut residue and 4 cups of water.
- Let it boil till it reduces by half and thickens.
- Strain the curry through a mesh pressing well to extract all the flavors.
- Heat up the remaining oil and coconut oil and put fenugreek seeds, the whole red chilies and stir well.
- Now add drumsticks, marinated prawns, mangoes and cook till the prawns are done.
- Now pour in the curry and simmer till it combines well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Take away from heat and add the coconut milk and reheat to simmering point.