|Calories Per Serving:
- 1 cup Rice
- ½ cup Moong Dal
- 1 to 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- ½ tsp Mustard
- ½ tsp Jeera
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 2 Potatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup Peas
- 2 Carrots (chopped)
- 1 Eggplant (brinjal) (optional)
- 1 cup Black Eyed Peas (frozen or boiled)
- ½ cup Tovar Dana (frozen)
- 5 Green Chilies (crushed)
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- ¼ cup Raw Peanuts (optional)
- Cilantro (chopped) (coriander leaves)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Soak the rice and dal for about ½ hour.
- Add about 1 tsp oil in frying pan or in a heavy bottom vessel.
- Add the cinnamon, mustard seeds and jeera.
- After the mustard seeds pop, add the onions and sauté for few minutes till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add asafoetida and all the vegetables and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add the crushed green chilies, the garlic paste and the ginger paste and sauté for few mins.
- Add the soaked rice and dal in to it. You can also add the peanuts at this time.
- Add about 3-4 cups water, depending on how you like the khichdi consistency to be.
- Add some chopped cilantro and some garam masala.
- Close the vessel with a tight lid and leave to cook for about half hour till the rice and dal are done to a nice mashed mix.
- The dish is ready to serve