Chemmeen Varutharacha Curry
|Calories Per Serving:
- 1 inch Ginger (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 cup (236 ml) Coconut (grated)
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup (236 ml) Water
- 15 Chemmeen (Prawns) (cleaned and washed)
- 2 1/2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 19 Shallots (chopped into fine pieces)
- 1 Onion (medium, chopped into fine pieces)
- 1 Tomato (medium, sliced into 4 parts)
- 3 Green Chilies (split in half)
- Salt (to taste)
- Take a pan and heat 2 tsp oil in it.
- Put the grated coconut and roast it for around 6-7 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp chili powder and stir till coconut is completely roasted.
- Grind roasted coconut into a paste.
- Take another pan and heat 1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil.
- Add shallots, onion, green chilies and cook till onions and shallots are tender.
- Put turmeric powder, remaining coriander powder & red chili powder, ginger, garlic, and salt. Sauté well.
- Add prawns and sliced tomatoes. Mix well.
- Pour 1 cup of water and let it cook over medium flame for 15 minutes.
- When prawns are cooked completely, add the coconut paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves to it.
- Mix the contents into the chemmeen curry.
- Serve with steamed rice or puttu.