- 1/2 kg Small Potatoes
- A pinch of Asfoetida
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Medium size onion (grated)
- 2 cup Fine Curd
- 4-5 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 4 tbsp Ghee or oil
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cardamoms
- 7-8 Black Peppers
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Small piece of Cinnamon
- Make a fine powder by blending together the ingredients of the masala in a blender. Keep it aside.
- Remove the peel from potatoes and prick them.
- Take oil in a frying pan and heat it for about one minute. Fry the potatoes on a medium heat until their color changes from white to light brown. Keep it aside.
- Add grated onion, asafoetida, bay leaves and ginger-garlic paste to the remaining oil.
- Fry the mixture till the paste turns reddish brown.
- Add the masala prepared and heat for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder and salt.
- Fry again for about a minute.
- Now pour the milk to make gravy followed by adding fine curd.
- Keep stirring continuously, add water if the gravy appears too thick.
- Now add pricked potatoes to this gravy and cook in a pressure cooker. Remove from the flame after 4 to 5 minutes just before the first whistle.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
- Dum Aloo is ready to serve.