- 10 dry Bombay Duck (Tarapori)
- 6 Garlic Flakes
- 9-12 Dry Red Chilies
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Onion (finely sliced)
- ½ cup Vinegar
- 2½ tbsp grated Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- Soak jaggery in 1/4 cup vinegar and set aside.
- Remove the heads, tails, and any fin-like protrusions from all the fish. Chop each fish into 4 pieces.
- Grind together garlic, red chilies, cumin seeds, and 1 tsp vinegar into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry onions until brown.
- Add the prepared paste to the onions and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Add the duck pieces and mix well.
- Add salt and the remaining vinegar. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Finally, add vinegar-jaggery mixture and 1/2 cup water.
- Reduce the flame to low and cook till the duck pieces turn soft.
- Serve hot.