Ireland is not only famous for its scenic beauty and castles, but has also gained a high reputation for its top class teaching, learning, and academic facilities. Every year, thousands of students flock to Ireland from different parts of the world to pursue their higher studies in their dream universities. The admission procedure for colleges and universities in Ireland generally varies from year to year, depending on the number of seats available and the number of applicants looking to get into particular universities. If you have already planned on pursuing your respective degree in Ireland, then read on to gain insight into the college admission procedures attached to Ireland.
Eligibility Criteria For Admissions In Ireland Universities
Find out information on eligibility criteria for admissions in Ireland Universities.
College Admission Procedure in Ireland
- To gain admission into an Irish college or university as a foreign student, you will have at your disposal two options. The first option will see you taking an Irish school leaving certificate examination after attending upper secondary school. Majority of the students opt for this option, especially those who take the examination and English language tuitions as well.
- Alternatively, a student can undertake recognized examinations or a graduate public examination in their home country. However, all international students who are looking to study in Ireland should check for the eligibility criteria and minimum qualification for hassle free admission procedures. Also, certain universities and courses have prescribed cut off marks/grades that should be achieved by a student for admission to such courses.
- English is the main language of Ireland and all courses are available in English. International students whose native language is not English are required to present a valid ToEFL score along with their application form as a part of the admission procedure.
- A foreign student should also have a valid passport and student visa to pursue any kind of studies in Ireland. It is the responsibility of the applicants to keep all documents available at the time of submitting the application form. Most universities /departments/schools in Ireland require official transcripts of all earlier courses and degrees.
- Funding and scholarships are available when you are looking to pursue degree programs in Ireland. Students must get in touch with their desired university for such funding details. International students are allowed to take up part time jobs to support their course fee, if permitted by their visa.
- With the exception of Northern Ireland Colleges, application for most full-time undergraduate courses is made through the Central Application office. Students can get all information regarding admission procedure and courses available through the handbook provided by the CAo.
- The third level education or postgraduate education in Ireland is highly competitive and students compete for entry in such courses based on results achieved in the examinations held for the Irish Leaving Certificate.
- Students who intend to pursue a four-year graduate entry medicine program are required to take up SAT and present a valid score at the time of admission.
- The admission procedure in Ireland depends on whether an applicant is a EU or a non-EU candidate. A candidate who has been residing in any European for three to five years prior to the commencement of the course is considered an EU candidate. Also, candidates who have an EU nationality are considered for EU status. Candidates who have been ordinary residents in an EU member state for three of the five years prior to the commencement of the programme and their parents have been in full - time employment in an EU member state for three of the five years prior to the commencement of the programme are also eligible for EU candidate status.
Students who are planning to get to Ireland to study should get in touch with their desired universities for full details on admission procedures. Plus, they should also have valid paper work, including their visa and official transcripts required for the admission procedure.