Read about information on PhD in USA, doctorate research programs in American universities and Doctorate in Philosophy Degree in the United States of America.
Phd In USA
It is the dream of every student to have a prestigious prefix of - Doctor! Ph.D. or Doctor of Philosophy is the biggest academic degree achievable. But getting there is no easy task, as you need to spend considerable energy, time and dedication towards this. Being home to numerous world-class research institutes, the United States of America is the ideal place to do Ph.D. courses. It may take three to six years to complete this degree depending on the field you select and your mentor. It is possible that there will be some extra charges for you research and documentation work. Pursuing an advanced degree such as a Ph.D. will provide you excellent, almost 100%, career opportunities. You can learn about the basic structure of Ph.D. programs in USA, expenses associated with it and also about the available financial aids from the following content. Read on!
Doctorate Research Programs In American Universities
Basic Structure of Research Programs
Ph.D., as the name suggests, is an in-depth study of a chosen topic. This is one step higher than a Master's Degree. Research is the primary means of collecting information about the selected area. It may take three to six or even seven years to complete a Ph.D., depending upon the nature, dedication and complexity of the subject selected. You will be awarded a Ph.D. degree on completion of theoretical and practical classes, passing a comprehensive examination and submitting a detailed thesis of your research work. A viva voce might be part of the curriculum.
- In majority of the institutes, Master's Degree is an essential pre-requisite for a Ph.D. while others admit graduates too. You can work as a Graduate Research Assistant and register for a part time Ph.D.
- It is important that you have good scores in common entrance tests such as GRE and English Language examinations like ToEFL.
- Internships or other work experience will add to your qualifications.
Ph.D. course work essentially includes research and documentation work. This requires large amounts of money. In addition to this, you have to consider living expenses for the entire duration of the course. The annual expenses of most Ph.D. students are about $28,000-$40,000 per year.
Though expensive, you can still opt for doctorate courses in USA as there are a number of Government and private organizations that could sponsor your studies in America. Also, there are some universities which give financial aid to outstanding students.
- The 'USA Fulbright Scholarships for International Students' provides financial aid for international students enrolled in post-graduate and doctorate courses in universities and academic institutions in USA. The scheme covers any area of study except for MBA and Medicine.
- overseas Research Scholarships: This is open to any foreign student with a good academic merit. But, this is only a partial scholarship that covers the difference in the fees for a home student and international student.
- Commonwealth Scholarship Plan: This plan provides financial assistance for students from Commonwealth countries. The grant is available up to three years and covers basic expenses such as travel, tuition fee and living expenses. Additional allowance may or may not be provided for books and clothes.
How To Apply
You need the following documents:
- Application form duly filled in by the applicant.
- General entrance test score like GRE, GMAT etc.
- Standardized English Language test scores like IELTS, ToEFL etc.
- Recommendation letters.
- A personal statement.
- Academic records.
This can be sent either via air mail or by means of the university website.
Doctorate In Philosophy Degree In United States of America
They are offered in:
- Doctor of Arts (D.A./D. Arts)
- Doctor of Business Administration (D.B.A)
- Doctor of Church Music (D.C.M)
- Doctor of Canon Law (J.C.D./D.C.L)
- Doctor of Design (D.Des.)
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
- Doctor of Engineering (D.Eng./D.E.Sc./D.E.S.)
- Doctor of Fine Arts (D.F.A.)
- Doctor of Health Science (D.H.Sc.)
- Doctor of Hebrew Letters (D.H.L.)
- Doctor of Industrial Technology (D.I.T.)
Professional doctorates offered in USA include:
- Doctor of Law
- Doctor of Education
- Doctor of Medicine
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
- Doctor of osteopathic Medicine
- Doctor of Dentistry
- Doctor of Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- Doctor of optometry
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Doctor of Psychology
- Doctor of Health Science
USA receives thousands of higher education student aspirants every year and many of them get enrolled into research programs and doctorate courses. Undoubtedly, this country is one of the best choices to pursue your Ph.D. Degree.