Roast Turkey With Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
|Roast Turkey With Chestnut Stuffing Recipe|
||Non Veg. |
- 12 Pounds whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 2 Pounds chestnuts
- 2 Cups butter
- 2 Cups minced onion
- 10 Cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 Cups minced celery
- 1 tsp Thyme, dried
- 1 tsp Savory, dried
- 1 tsp Rosemary, dried
- 1 tsp Marjoram, dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to make Roast Turkey With Chestnut Stuffing:
- Cut a cross on the flat side of each chestnut, with a sharp knife.
- Cover it with water and simmer, in a saucepan for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and remove the shells and inner brown skins.
- Cover it with fresh water and boil it for about 20 to 30 minutes till tender.
- Drain and chop coarsely.
- To prepare the stuffing, melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium flame.
- Add onions and celery to it, and cook till tender and mix in bread crumbs and chestnuts.
- Season it with, marjoram, thyme, savory, and rosemary.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse the turkey under cold running water, and pat dry.
- Massage salt and pepper into the body cavities and loosely spoon stuffing into body cavities.
- Seal the skin with skewers or kitchen twine, and tie the drumsticks together.
- Put the turkey on a rack in a medium roasting pan.
- Roast the turkey 3-1/2 to 4- 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, till internal temperature of thigh reaches 180 degrees F and stuffing reaches 165 degrees F.
- Place a foil tent over the turkey during the last half of roasting time to avoid the over browning.
- Remove it from the oven and place on the platter and allow the turkey to stand for about 20 minutes before carving.