New Luck superstitions related to attract good luck and fend off bad luck and evil spirits including New Year baby superstition.
New Year Superstitions
Drinking and kissing your spouse or life partner at the stroke of midnight is a very popular New Year superstition. Most superstitions, traditions and customs related to beginning of a year stems from the belief that whatever you do on the first day of the year will set the pattern for the whole coming year. Other superstitions are to ward off evil spirits and invite Lady Luck in our house. January 1st is supposed to be the most important day of the year as everything we do on this day is supposed to become a part of our life for the next 364 days. Some popular New Year superstitions are:
- Avoid breaking things, crying and wailing on the first day of the year, if you don't want to continue the pattern for the entire year.
- Babies born on 1st January is said to be the luckiest of all throughout their lives.
- Do not let money, jewelry, precious items or other invaluable things leave your home on New Year Day. Do not pay loans and bills or lend things to anybody, if you do not want to show just-entered fortune the way to leave during the year. People go to the extent of not taking out garbage or even not dusting their carpets on this day to ensure that nothing goes out of home during the year.
- Dress well throughout the year by wearing new clothes on January 1.
- Evil One and his attendants and servants hate din and loud noise. So, scare them away by being as loud in New Year celebrations as possible. Church bells are rung at midnight for the purpose too.
- Full larders, cupboards stocked up with food and wallets and purses full of money bring prosperity in New Year.
- If you have to deliver presents on New Year morning, leave them in the car since New Year Eve on December 31st.
- If you must take something out from the home, let someone come with the present inside the home first.
- Never leave the home before someone comes in first. First footer in the house should be ushered in with a warm welcome and should not have flat feet, cross-eyes or eyebrows stretching out to meet in the middle.
- Pay your bills and loans before New Year Eve, so you don't have any debt left for New Year.
- People do not wash hair on New Year and wear festive red clothing for happiness all the year round.
- The direction of wind during sunrise on New Year morning prophesizes about the coming year. Wind from south foretells fine weather and prosperous times ahead, wind from north foretells bad weather, wind from east foretells famine and natural calamities and wind from west foretells plenty of milk and fish for all but death of a person of great national importance. No wind means joy and prosperity throughout the year.
- Token amount of work on first day of the year means advancements in career but starting out a serious work project is unlucky on New Year Day.
- Washing dishes and doing laundry on this day is said to lead to a death in the family during the year.