New Luck superstitions related to
attract good luck and fend off bad luck and evil spirits including
New Year baby superstition.
New Year Superstitions
Drinking and kissing your spouse or life partner at
the stroke of midnight is a very popular New Year superstition. Most
superstitions, traditions and customs related to beginning of a year
stems from the belief that whatever you do on the first day of the year
will set the pattern for the whole coming year. Other superstitions are
to ward off evil spirits and invite Lady Luck in our house. January 1st
is supposed to be the most important day of the year as everything we do
on this day is supposed to become a part of our life for the next 364
days. Some popular New Year superstitions are:
- Avoid breaking things, crying and wailing on the first day of the
year, if you don't want to continue the pattern for the entire year.
- Babies born on 1st January is said to be the luckiest of all
throughout their lives.
- Do not let money, jewelry, precious items or other invaluable
things leave your home on New Year Day. Do not pay loans and bills
or lend things to anybody, if you do not want to show just-entered
fortune the way to leave during the year. People go to the extent of
not taking out garbage or even not dusting their carpets on this day
to ensure that nothing goes out of home during the year.
- Dress well throughout the year by wearing new clothes on January
- Evil One and his attendants and servants hate din and loud noise.
So, scare them away by being as loud in New Year celebrations as
possible. Church bells are rung at midnight for the purpose too.
- Full larders, cupboards stocked up with food and wallets and
purses full of money bring prosperity in New Year.
- If you have to deliver presents on New Year morning, leave them
in the car since New Year Eve on December 31st.
- If you must take something out from the home, let someone come
with the present inside the home first.
- Never leave the home before someone comes in first. First footer
in the house should be ushered in with a warm welcome and should not
have flat feet, cross-eyes or eyebrows stretching out to meet in the
- Pay your bills and loans before New Year Eve, so you don't have
any debt left for New Year.
- People do not wash hair on New Year and wear festive red clothing
for happiness all the year round.
- The direction of wind during sunrise on New Year morning
prophesizes about the coming year. Wind from south foretells fine
weather and prosperous times ahead, wind from north foretells bad
weather, wind from east foretells famine and natural calamities and
wind from west foretells plenty of milk and fish for all but death
of a person of great national importance. No wind means joy and
prosperity throughout the year.
- Token amount of work on first day of the year means advancements
in career but starting out a serious work project is unlucky on New
- Washing dishes and doing laundry on this day is said to lead to a
death in the family during the year.