|Rating||6.0 / 10 (37 votes)|
- For the filling
- 2 Cup shredded fresh coconut
- 1/2 Cup mixture of unsalted pistachios and unsalted cashews
- 1/2 Pinch of cardamom powder
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1 Cup jaggery or sugar
For the outer cover
- 1 Cup rice flour
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
How to make Modak:
- To prepare the filling, combine coconut, milk and jaggery or sugar, mix well.
- Cook it over medium flame, stir continuously till they are mixed properly.
- Add cashews and pistachios and cook for about one minute.
- Now add cardamom powder.
- Let it cool, keep aside.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Now add flour, ghee and salt, stir quickly so as to remove all lumps.
- Cover with a lid for some time and cook.
- Remove the lid and keep stirring.
- Now remove the pan from the heat and transfer all the mixture on a flat plate.
- Knead it to make soft dough.
- It should be neither too sticky nor too dry.
- Grease the palms of your hands properly and make a ball from the dough.
- Flatten the dough to make a cup shape.
- Put 3/4 tsp coconut filling into this cup.
- Dip thumb and index finger in the oil and make 5-6 small pinches on the outside edges of the cup.
- Bring them together on top and join to shape a peak.
- Put modak on a pre greased plate.
- Make rest of the modaks.
- Now Steam them for about 15 minutes and serve with ghee.