Photo Credit: http://food.ndtv.com/lists/the-best-of-gujarat-dhokla-recipe-in-6-new-avatars-695176
||7.7 / 10 (41 votes)|
- 3 cups Rice
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- ½ cup Sour Curd
- 2 tbsp Green Chili-Ginger Paste
- ½ tsp Sodium Bicarbonate
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 cup Coconut (Grated)
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Dhokla:
- Soak the rice and dal separately for 4-6 hrs in plenty of water. Afterwards, grind them together.
- Add curd and hot water to the dal-rice mixture to get a thick batter like consistency.
- Allow it to ferment for at least 6 to 7 hours.
- Add sodium bicarbonate, asafoetida, chili-ginger paste and salt to the dhokla batter and mix well.
- Smear a bit of oil on a tray and pour the batter to fill upto half the height of tray. Sprinkle a little black pepper powder on top.
- Steam for about 10 minutes and then cut into square/ diamond shaped pieces.
- For tempering (tadka), heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it.
- When seeds start spluttering, pour the tempering on the dhokla pieces.
- Garnish the dhokla with grated coconut and coriander leaves.
- Khatta Dhokla is ready to eat. Serve with green chutney.