It is very important to do a complete research of the country where you are going to study. Understand every detail of the new country such as its history, culture, language, political structure, economic conditions, education system and social structure. This helps a lot in adjusting in the new atmosphere. Internet research is a convenient way to conduct such research but make sure you are referring to the right sites. Collect all the information that you can about the university you are going to join, places for accommodation available there and also about the food habits prevalent there. Carry all your important documents with you. Apart from this, while going abroad, you have to also fulfill many other formalities. As soon as you reach your destination, officials from the immigration department carry out an immigration check. It involves checking your passport and visa papers for authenticity, determining the purpose and duration of your visit followed by a Customs check. Here are some important requirements that you should keep in mind while going abroad.
Formalities For Students Going Abroad
Here are some useful Orientation Tips and information regarding formalities for students going abroad
Orientation Tips for Students Going Abroad
- Search for every vital information related to the university where you are going to take admission for pursuing your studies. Students should check the Consular Information Sheet for the place they are planning to study so as to get all the basic information that they can get.
- Soon after landing at the airport your luggage will be checked by the customs officials. Honestly declare the entire luggage that you are carrying with yourself.
- Always be respectful and polite to the airport and immigration officials. Avoid cracking jokes or making irrelevant comments at them.
- You may feel exhausted by the long distance flight especially if the travel is through a number of time zones. Your body clock may be disturbed due to jet lag so, give yourself some resting time before you start your studies. With a bit of rest and relaxation, your body can overcome the discomfort.
- Set your watch to the time zone of the place to which you are flying, as soon as you get on the plane.
- While going abroad, it is very essential to have knowledge about the basic customs and laws of that place. Knowing the local language is always an added advantage.
- Always carry your passport with you safely - in fact, carry a copy of it wherever you go while the original stays safely tucked with your luggage - and also keep the information about the embassy of your country.
- Course related orientation programs are organized to tell the students about the faculties, departments, semesters and examinations. Make the best use of them by attending the entire program and asking about all the doubts that you have.
- Driving rules vary across the world. While the Eastern countries follow the "stay to your left” rule, the Western countries follow the "stay right” rule. The driver's seat, gear box and the clutch pedals etc also differ accordingly. Hence, it would be prudent to study and practice the safety rules of driving well-in-advance.
- Always remember, "When in Rome, do as Romans do”, and try adapting to the culture, attire and behavior of your destination country. Understand the basic safety measures there and memorize the emergency number for the country. Understand how the local authorities function and you'll reduce the risks of getting injured or of being an unaware offender of any crime.
When you go abroad for studying, you get the chance to learn about different cultures and languages. This also helps you in getting good jobs in future. All you need to do is be flexible and understand what makes the country different from yours.