The process of learning and knowing, which is not restricted to our school textbooks, is called as education. It is a universal process and continues throughout our life. In some or the other way, the regular happenings and events around us educate us as well. Human beings are futile without education. only education helps a person to use his skills and potentials to the fullest. An educational institution plays an extremely important role in shaping the career of any individual. All over the world, universities and educational institutions are judged and ranked principally based on their academic or research performances. Students generally choose their universities based upon the rank, placements and the best courses. one such subject is social science and this article is to educate all the aspirants to learn more about the subject and the best universities to pursue it in India and abroad. Read below for a detailed description.
What is Social Science?
Social science basically studies the human aspects of the world. It includes an in-depth study and evaluation of human behavior by using scientific methods in either numerical or qualitative manner. In contrast to hard science or natural science, social science reveals subjective, objective, inter-subjective and structural aspects of the society. In simple words, it measures the social developments of the society and finds the emerging drawbacks too.
Best Social Science Universities In India
Read about information on top and best social science universities.
Top Social Sciences Universities
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai: Established in 1936, TISS stands tall as one of the best B-Schools in the country today. This first-of-its kind of social work school India, this UGC accredited university is known for providing excellent placement facilities with IBM and Lehman Brothers being its top recruiters.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU): Established in the year 1970, JNU is a university to reckon with. The social science school in the university apparently boasts of the biggest faculty and is a major centre for teaching social science and doing research work.
- Delhi School of Economics: Started in the year 1949, the campus of the Delhi School of Economics houses the University of Delhi'' Departments of Economics, Sociology, Geography and Commerce, and the Ratan Tata Library. out of these four academic departments, the Departments of Economics, Sociology and Geography come under the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Information on Top Social Sciences Universities Abroad
- Harvard University, United States: Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution for higher education in the United States and the most esteemed. The university has grown from nine students with a single master to whopping 20,000-degree candidates including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.
- Princeton University, United States: An esteemed educational institution in America since its inception in 1746, Princeton is one of the smallest of the private Ivy Leaguers, but boasts of 32 Nobel laureates among its past faculty and alumni.
- Stanford University: A few of its alumni are noted corporate giants including the founders of Hewlett-Packard and Google. It is the world's third-richest university that teaches 6,800 undergraduate and 3,800 graduate students.
- University of Michigan: It has excellent faculty, an exceptional health system, groundbreaking research, and a robust cultural life.
- Yale University: America's third-oldest university has nurtured 5 US presidents and 17 Supreme Court justices. It has over $16.3 billion endowment fund and 12.5 million books in its 24 libraries.
- University of Oxford: The world's third oldest surviving university offers its 12,000 undergraduates a choice of 38 colleges and 6 permanent private-residence halls.
- University of Cambridge: It is a public research university in Cambridge, England. It is the second oldest university in both England and the English-speaking world, and the seventh oldest globally.
- University of Berkeley: A gold-rush by-product, the University of Berkeley was founded by San Francisco Bay in 1868. To date, it has produced 21 Nobel laureates.
- University of Pennsylvania: It is a private research university and is also counted as one amongst the eight members of the Ivy League, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. Penn is the fourth-oldest institution for higher education in the United States.
- University of Chicago: The alumni list of the University of Chicago boasts of pioneers, scholars, discoverers and more and is indeed one of the best world universities.