Read information about mosquitoes and tips on
how to control mosquitoes.
Tips On Controlling Mosquitoes
There is no doubt that the mosquito is the most
irritating of all house pests. After a mosquito bites you there is an
itch that doesn't seem to go away no matter what you do. The mosquito is
carrier of many disease causing viruses and pathogens. While biting you
it can transmit these diseases to you through its saliva. It is only the
female mosquito that bites. The diet of male mosquitoes consists of
nectar from flowers. Many mosquito borne diseases cause a large number
of deaths in developing countries every year.
The mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water. The larvae breed in
this stagnant water. They breed in puddles, ponds and ditches that fill
with water and are not disturbed. They do not breed in moving water. By
disturbing stagnant water one can break the breeding cycle. The
mosquitoes that we find in our houses breed around our houses. In places
where water collects easily and is not disturbed for some time like,
empty cans, barrels, unused tires and blocked gutters. If the water from
small swimming pools is not regularly cleaned then they can also become
a breeding area for mosquitoes.
Here are a few tips for mosquito control:
Control and reduce breeding ground
- Change the water in the birdbaths at least once a week.
- If you have a tire swing make a hole in the bottom to ensure that
rainwater is drained out.
- Do leave empty barrels and can out in the open as water can
collect in them.
- Drain children's pools weekly.
- Fill soil in those areas in the garden where water can collect
- Gutters should be cleaned regularly.
- Put fish into your garden pond. They will eat up mosquito larvae.
Alternatively use an agitator in the pond.
Controlling Mosquito Larvae
- Employ a professional pest controller to apply larvicides to
ponds, ditches in and around the house. Environmental friendly
larvicides are available in the market.
- You can ask a professional to introduce bacterial control
measures at the right time to get optimum results.
Controlling Adult Mosquitoes
- Mosquitoes spend most of the day resting in the shrubs and bushes
around the house. Hire a pest professional to apply residual
products to the vegetation around the house. Though this will reduce
the number of mosquitoes, the product will have to be reapplied
- Place mosquito traps available in the market on the porch, the
- While sleeping at night you can use a mosquito net or a mosquito
The best way to control mosquitoes is to eliminate