Check out information on grounding and shielding in Reiki while performing treatment on a patient.
Grounding In Reiki
It is a strongly believed that Reiki can never harm anything or anyone. Reiki strives to cure problems, not create them. However, just as any other healing technique, Reiki too has certain precautionary measures taken in order to prevent causing harm to anyone. In Reiki terms, "grounding" and "shielding" are the precautionary measures taken in order to provide both the recipient and the practitioner, with protection.
When a Reiki practitioner performs a treatment on the patient, he is himself prone to the energy field of the patient. This makes him vulnerable to acquiring the problems of his patient. In order to avoid this, the Reiki practitioner must protect and prevent his body from acquiring the problems of the patient.
The same goes for the patient as well. The patient is seeking a solution to his ailment; he's not there to acquire more problems from the practitioner! Since the patient too is vulnerable to the energy field of the practitioner, the practitioner must ensure that the patient too is protected through grounding and shielding.
By grounding or shielding, both the practitioner and the patient are saved from each other's unwanted energy. The shield made by this process is semi-permeable, in such a way that it lets only the healing energy to pass through it. This ensures that the healing process can be carried-on without any problems. The process of grounding works like a sieve; it simply removes the unnecessary energy.
If you're a beginner, here's what you need to do to get started with grounding and shielding in Reiki.
- To ground or shield yourself, imagine you have developed roots that grow from your base chakra deep within the earth.
- Allow your awareness to drop down to the ground with the roots, till you feel physically heavier.
- Imagine that you are rooted to the center of the earth.
- If you feel like releasing your negative energy do so through your roots. The earth will transform it.
- If you need extra energy, draw it from the earth.
- Let the earth's energy come through the roots and into your body.
- Imagine energy coming out of the top of your head and returning back to your head.
- Awareness should always be grounded on the earth, even when you imagine energy going up your body.
- Once you are done with the complete process, it is good to close your chakras, as you may be vulnerable and open to negative energy.
- Imagine that your chakras, both front and back are closing. Use any imagery you want like closing doors, shutting window or closing eyelids.
- Cross your arms across your chest and reassure yourself that now your boundaries are strong.
Doing various physical activities also can ground and shield you. Here are a few ways of grounding or shielding yourself:
- Tapping the crown of your head.
- Tapping the soles of your feet.
- Putting your head to the ground.
- Even eating something can help.
- You can apply Reiki to your feet by placing your hands near your ankles.
- Apply Reiki to the root chakra, as this chakra is our connection to the earth.
- Walk barefoot.
You can shield yourself every morning before you leave your home and this will protect you from harmful negative vibes. Grounding will give practitioners peace and power before beginning a session.