Study Abroad
Learn more about study expenses, living costs for international students and German scholarships for study abroad students and also about financial aid in Germany.

Study Expenses & Financial Aid In Germany

Germany is home to almost 350 state and private universities that offer a variety of courses. It is one of the leading centers for research in science and technology. The reputation of German universities can be traced back to the 14th century where they possessed an outstanding level of academic progress. Till date, Germany has been a popular educational hub for international students. Living in Germany is expensive, although living costs are considerably affordable as compared to other European countries. If you have decided to study in Germany then you must make sure that your finances are ready! one of the main living expenses is the rent and housing facilities, which are not covered by the universities. A requirement for granting visa and a residence permit in Germany by the German Embassy is financial stability. Though there are several grants and scholarships offered to students, it is only in the advanced stage of studies and based on academic performances. The following sections give more information about financial aid and living costs in Germany.

Living Costs In Germany For International Students
Earlier, education in Germany was free, but recently, the Government has started charging a small university fee. Though the costs and admission system varies for each state and university, an estimation for each semester would be €500-1000 and the fees for the student union and administration would be around €50 per semester. Typically, a sum of €100 needs to be paid for enrollment, confirmation and administration fee. Students, who stay in Germany longer than the designated duration, must pay extra as the federal states charges for long term studies. A student who exceeds a standard period of stay is entitled to pay approximately €500.

Living expenses of a student depend on the city and university. An example of the expenses is as given below:
  • Insurance (mandatory): €55
  • Living: €200-300 per month.
  • Transportation: €50 monthly or €150 for a semester pass.
  • Meals: €150.
  • Phone, internet and other communication: €50 per month.
  • Entertainment: approx. €50, depending on your lifestyle.
overall, a student will spend about €500-600 every month. For living, they have the option of university dormitories and halls of residence. Apartments are also available on a shared basis that can considerably cut down expenses.

Financial Aid
Foreign students cannot expect too much financial support in Germany. But there are certain Government funds such as 'BAfoeG', which are awarded to international students if:
  • If one of the parents has a German citizenship.
  • If parents/guardians are refugees, stateless or a lawful asylum seekers.
  • If one of the parent is legally employed in Germany for three years.
  • If the above were employed in Germany for five years before the beginning of your studies.
Student loans are also available for the purpose of providing financial support to candidates during times of advanced education, in which an amount of €300 is granted for a period of 24 months. But these student loans and BAfoeG are limited in number.

In case of financial emergency, students can contact the academic international offices of the university. They can seek the support of the Catholic or Evangelistic student community or private societies within the university. There are student communities who have access to emergency funds. The 'Federal Education and Training Assistance Act' of the Government provide monetary support to struggling students. To be eligible for this, students must be below the age of 30 and prove that their parents are financially unstable to provide any further support.

As it is difficult to get scholarships in Germany, it is suggested that you begin your search for funding before you reach Germany. You can get adequate information from international offices in your university or at the German Embassy or Consulate.