Read on for information on student visa details for New Zealand, visa tips for international students going for study programs and visa requirements for students going for education in New Zealand.
Student Visa Details For New Zealand
A student visa is specifically for candidates who want to pursue higher education in a country. Student visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study on the basis of letters of admission from universities/recognized colleges in New Zealand. But international students need to meet certain requirements if they want to get enrolled. The New Zealand visa issuing officer is in-charge of giving students required application forms at a cost of around NZ $200. Permits are issued to enable a candidate to undertake a particular course of study at a specified institution. There are chances that you can be refused a visa if: you do not meet the entry requirements, if you are not a genuine applicant for a study visa or if Section 7 of the Immigration Act 1987 applies to you. Read below for an idea on the visa requirements for international students.
Visa Requirements For Students Going For Study Programs In New Zealand
- A written offer of acceptance from the educational institution in New Zealand.
- Receipts for payment of course fees or evidence that you are exempt any payments. For e.g., if you possess a New Zealand Government scholarship.
- Complete and signed 'Application for Student Visa' form with a passport size photograph. Remember that the visa fees are non-refundable.
- Written assurance from the university, of a confirmed residential accommodation in New Zealand.
- Your passport or certificate of identity, which must be valid for the period of time that you intend to study.
- Proof required showing that funds are available for your maintenance throughout your stay. one of the four is acceptable as evidence. They are:
- A completed 'sponsoring a student' form in which your sponsor gives a financial undertaking that they can at least transfer an amount of NZ $7,000 a year.
- A letter from your educational institution confirming that your living expenses have already been paid for as part of your fees.
- A bank document showing that funds of the required amount will be available to you in New Zealand i.e. $1000 for each month of your stay for short term study and $7000 a year for a long term study.
- An award of a full New Zealand scholarship.
If your stay in New Zealand is more than 24 months, then you will need:
- Completed New Zealand Immigration service medical and chest X-ray certificates.
- Character clearances that must be of two original character references, if under the age of 17 or a local police clearance, if you are above 17 years of age. You will be advised of the procedure for obtaining these by the New Zealand Government office.
These are the important documents needed to get a student visa. When the overseas office is satisfied with the completeness of your application then you will be issued a student visa.