Christmas decorations like candles, lights and Christmas tress are interesting to make and a joy to behold the final outcome. These decorations set the mood for the festivities and remind us that it is a season to celebrate and enjoy ourselves. But if precautions are not taken then these decorations can cause fires, injuries and death. Given below are a few safety precautions to follow during the holiday season.
Information about safe Christmas decoration and decoration safety tips.
Safe Christmas Decorations
- If you are buying an artificial tree, ensure that it has a "Fire Resistant" label. This does not mean that the tree will not catch fire; it only means that it is more resistant to burning.
- When you are buying a live tree, ensure that it is fresh. If the tree is fresh you will not be able to pull the needles from the branches. When it is tapped on the ground needles will not fall off. If the truck is fresh it will be sticky with resin.
- Inside your home position the tree away from the fireplace and away from radiators. Heated rooms will dry a live tree quickly. Make sure that the tree stand if filled with water. Place tree away from doorways and areas that are used often in the house.
- Use lights that have been tested for safety by a recognized laboratory. Use lights that have plugs and fuses. Use lights labeled for outdoor use for outdoors and those meant for indoor use indoors.
- Check lights both old and new for cracked or broken sockets, bare wires or loose connections before using them.
- Replace damaged bulbs immediately. Use same wattage bulbs.
- Use extension cords that are rated for intended use.
- Use insulated tape to fasten lights outdoors to trees, house wall etc.
- Turn off outdoor light when you go to bed or leave the house.
Candles and Other Decorations:
- Use fire resistant material to decorate the tree. Use nonleaded material for decoration, as leaded material is dangerous if children ingest it.
- Burning candles should be kept in view at all times. Place them out of reach of children.
- Do not place lighted candles near trees or other greens. Use non-flammable holders.
- If you have small children at home, then try not to use decorations that look like candy. As this might tempt them to eat it. Do not use decoration with small removable parts and the children could eat them up.
- While using artificial snow spray, read instructions on the can carefully to prevent lung irritation.
- "Fire salts" produce colored flames when thrown into wood fires. They contain metals and are poisonous if ingested. Therefore keep them away from children.
- Do not throw wrapping paper into the fireplace, as they will burst into flames suddenly causing a fire flash.
- Flying sparks may cause flammable material around the fireplace to catch fire. Prevent this by placing a screen around the fireplace.