You placed that potted plant right beside your dining table to add decor to your dining room, but you struggled to serve your guest seated next to it the other day! Now, don't you think the potted plant was not needed! Arranging furniture just to highlight it is not going to help you live comfortably. You need to keep in mind that the arrangement goes hand in hand with efficient usage as well. However, deciding on how to arrange furniture and how to make use of the space in a room can be a difficult and daunting task. Given below are a few ideas on how to arrange furniture in the living room, bedroom and in a multipurpose room.
Furniture Arranging Tips
Read about furniture arranging ideas, arranging living room furniture and furniture arranging tip.
Furniture Arranging Ideas
- You must first place the largest piece of furniture, irrespective of what room it is. In the living room this would be your sofa; in the bedroom it would be your bed; in the dining room, your dining table and in your family room it would be the entertainment center.
- Consider a natural focal point, like a fireplace, for instance. Then, place your largest piece of furniture around the focal point. It is not necessary for the furniture to face it, but it should certainly be arranged around the focal point to accentuate its importance.
- You must take care to not put all large pieces of furniture together. Otherwise, it will only upset the balance of your room.
- Once you are done with placing major pieces of furniture, get started with the pieces that are related to it. For instance, consider your dining area. Obviously, the dining chairs come soon after placing the dining table. Similarly, in the living room, the chairs in the conversation area come soon after placing the sofa. In the bedroom, the large dressers are to be placed after the bed.
- This way, go on adding furniture to the pieces of furniture you've added before.
Arranging Living Room Furniture
- Before arranging furniture in the living room, decide on what will be the focus of the room. Use the focus as the central point of the room. Arrange furniture opposite the object in focus.
- The central point of the room can be anything, the fireplace, the largest window in the room or your home theater. The object of your focus should be fixed to a wall. This will make your furniture seem a lot cozier than it is.
- Chairs should be placed within eight feet of each other. This will only encourage conversation.
- Position a table in such a way that it is easily accessible from every chair.
- Keep a light source near the seating area.
- When you place the coffee table, ensure that there is enough legroom. Around fourteen to eighteen inches away from the sofa should do just fine.
- Side tables should be at least as tall as the arms of the chairs or sofa. This will ensure that serving is easy.
- When arranging furniture, ensure that you have enough space to move around the room.
- Make it a point to have enough tables to place lamps for convenient lighting.
- Consider the comfort level of your seating arrangements in the living area. It should be good enough for an evening of entertainment.
- You will have to see to it that the chairs are close enough for you to hear someone sitting in another division of the living room.
- In the bedroom, you will have to make it a point to put the furniture in such a way that two people can dress comfortably at a time.
- Furniture in the kitchen must be arranged in such a way that two people can work without getting in each other's way.
- The dining room furniture must be placed in such a way that people can walk around the table without the diners having to pull in their chairs.
People pay so much attention to decor, that they quite forget how to keep the decor functional as well. So, don't let this happen to you. Use these tips while arranging furniture and make your home decor functional and comfortable at the same time.