Tips of lighting a kitchen, kitchen lighting ideas and kitchen lighting fixtures.
The kitchen is no longer a room in which you cook meals. The kitchen has become more and more of a family room, where the family gathers at least twice a day. The family members read the morning newspaper in the kitchen, meals for just the family are served in the kitchen, the children do their homework on the kitchen table and bills are sorted out and checks written out there. If the kitchen is big enough it can be used to entertain guests as well. Therefore the kitchen must be adequately lit to enable these activities to take place without any hindrance. The kitchen is no longer lit with a single ceiling light fixture. Today the market is flooded with a variety of kitchen lighting fixtures. Here are a few tips to remember while lighting the kitchen:
- The size of the kitchen must be taken into consideration while deciding the lighting options.
- Ensure that the main work areas in the kitchen are well lit. The stove and sink areas must be well lit to enable you to work comfortably. You can use task lighting for these areas.
- The kitchen table is one of the focal points in the kitchen. Most of the activities other than cooking takes place here. Use a pendant or chandelier fixture to brightly lit up the table. Install a dimmer to the controls of this light and it can be used to change to mood while dinning. This fixture can add style to the kitchen as well.
- Install lights above and below the cabinets. The lights below the cabinet will highlight countertop of the kitchen. The lights above the kitchen will not only illuminate your attractive cabinets but will remove shadows from the kitchen.
- If you have a computer or a TV in you kitchen, you will have to provide special lighting in an effective manner, so that there is no glare on the screen.
- It is best to use dimmers for all the lights as they not only save electricity, but also allow you to set the mood in the kitchen.
- Using colored lights for the kitchen is very popular. Use lights of the same color for all the kitchen lighting.
- You can use decorative lights, which come in a number of finishes like wrought iron, rust, nickel etc.
- It is best if you can engage the services of a specialist or professional in this area.
You should be able to decide the kind of lighting you want for your kitchen after reading these kitchen lighting ideas.