Information about window safety for home, safe windows for home and burglar window bar.
Windows in your house do not just serve the purpose of a source of ventilation and natural light. It is also not just the space available for you to adorn beautiful fabric and curtain designs. Apart from being a source of ventilation and a space to flaunt creativity, windows can also serve as an entry point to thieves. Windows are where burglars gain entry into your house. It is also a spot of danger, if you have children at home. They run the risk of getting injured either while playing with the window or by falling out of it. Therefore, it is important on your part to consider having proper window security and safety plans intact. Windows play a vital role in home safety and also serve as a secondary escape route at times of emergencies. It is quite essential for you to have a proper plan to secure the windows in your house, both to prevent theft and accidents. These window safety tips and guidelines may help you plan out the safety strategy for windows in your house.
- You can grow thorny croton or cactus just outside your window. These thorny plants will discourage a burglar from breaking in. These bushes along with preventing the burglars from breaking in will also add to the beauty of your lawn garden.
- Get a secondary locking system installed to the house windows. The secondary locking system will provide double protection to your house making your windows burglar proof.
- Make it a point to avoid placing cribs, furniture, playpens near the windows. Any furniture close to the window can prove to be dangerous for the children since they can climb over to access the window.
- The security bars and locks on your house window should be secured and in good working condition at all times. The locking system or the protective bars will prove to be meaningless if they don't function efficiently during an emergency. Get your window guards and security system checked from time to time to ensure proper functioning.
- There are specially designed window guards available in the market today that cut down on the risk of children falling out of windows. Look for window guards with a quick release mechanism inside the window. This mechanism will help you open the window quickly during any emergency situation.
- You should secure and practice an emergency escape plan for your family regularly. Mark the avenues of escape in each room and script down the escape plan. Help your family members especially children to safely use a window to escape during an emergency.
- You should not blindly rely on an insect screen to prevent a fall. Insect screens are designed in a way that helps provide ventilation along with keeping insects out. These screens are not designed to prevent a child from falling off the window neither are they made strong enough to resist such impact.
- Avoid getting an air conditioning unit installed in windows that might be useful for rescue and escape operations under emergency situations. Installing an air conditioner in a window can help you avoid emergency accidents. This will prevent you from escaping on time. Therefore, you need to be thoughtful when getting at least one window in every room which can help you escape during emergencies.
- It is advisable to keep your windows closed and locked when children are around. Open windows that are beyond the reach of children to ensure their safety.
- It is advisable to get your windows and doors checked for any jams while getting seasonal repairs or cleaning done. The windows should not be painted or nailed shut. You should be able to open them quickly during an emergency situation, and should be able to check for any movement outside.
- Look at your window coverings for inner and outer cord loops in blinds. These loops can prove to be dangerous for your children. Get the blinds fixed to prevent any accidents.